Forum for Singapore Golfers

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

how to get the chipping feel right ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveS

PostSubject: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:46 pm

I have try practise in range...25 m 50 m.....again and again...

but on the green ....sometime it works and sometime it doesnt...

how to develop this feeling ? how often u guys practise ? is it effective to practise chipping at home using chipping net or ?
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 pm

It all boil down to feel, practise, knowledge, guts and like you said before..the mind thingy....myself lately was upset with somethings...played badly even i drive 200m. But thanks to your advise i pulled thru it.

I am sure you will get there very soon, i wouldn't rush this process of learning.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cool
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 am

SteveS wrote:
I have try practise in range...25 m 50 m.....again and again...

but on the green ....sometime it works and sometime it doesnt...

how to develop this feeling ? how often u guys practise ? is it effective to practise chipping at home using chipping net or ?

Chipping usually for distance less than 30m. Ideally You chip onto the green and let it roll. How much roll will depends on which club you use to chip.
Pitching is for 30m and above. Ball fly high and land soft with less roll.

Feel comes from regular practices. Chipping at home helps to get some feel of ball striking, but it lacks feedback how ball will roll or react.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 am

Pick out a spot about 2 feet inside the edge of the green - allowing for breaks and any up or down slopes

Choose a club which will pop the ball to this spot and then roll the rest of the way to the hole

Imagine tossing a golf ball to land on this spot - this is usually the strength required

Make a couple of rehearsal swings and visualize the ball landing on the chosen spot and rolling into the hol

Upon executing the shot, observe the flight and roll of ball - this forms the data in your memory bank

My 2 cents - so now, you are going to be a rich man soon
Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:36 am

Hi steves .. Maybe u too stiff on course?

Did u assess yr lie..and condition of the turf?

Decide how much club bounce u wana involve and loft (traj of chip)u wana play?

Then adjust accordingly to where u wana place the ball to to establish contact.

What clubs are u using to chip?

What kind of chips u hitting on course?

Too much bounce or too little bounce on the flange
Back to top Go down
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:55 am

daztasiumz wrote:

Hi bro... honestly I am very new to golf.. bought the ping set one year plus ago but hardly play due to work commitment..

Started recently maybe 3 to 4 months ago ...and start playing more often because I just love this game Smile
Is only only past time now... Smile

For the club I'm using, only using Ping I20 SW and Ping Tour Wedge 58 deg.

I think is not so much about the wedges I have but is my swing...and you are right..too stiff and not relax at the swing...

I just can't get the feel right.. But well, I never practise chipping before to be honest...Even at range, I'm busy learning how to get my iron straight..

But recently found out the important of short game in lowering down the score so starting to find out how to chip consistently...

Have already sign up the JCC chipping and putting clinic that's going to conduct tomorrow so hope that I can learn more from that clinic about chipping and putting Smile

For bounce...honestly speaking I know nothing about it...my swing is just too inconsistent to know the different in bounce of each club.. Smile But I will learn and find out more from google Smile

Thanks for all the information and advices. Smile

Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:18 am

SteveS wrote:
daztasiumz wrote:

Hi bro... honestly I am very new to golf.. bought the ping set one year plus ago but hardly play due to work commitment..

Started recently maybe 3 to 4 months ago ...and start playing more often because I just love this game Smile
Is only only past time now... Smile

For the club I'm using, only using Ping I20 SW and Ping Tour Wedge 58 deg.

I think is not so much about the wedges I have but is my swing...and you are right..too stiff and not relax at the swing...

I just can't get the feel right.. But well, I never practise chipping before to be honest...Even at range, I'm busy learning how to get my iron straight..

But recently found out the important of short game in lowering down the score so starting to find out how to chip consistently...

Have already sign up the JCC chipping and putting clinic that's going to conduct tomorrow so hope that I can learn more from that clinic about chipping and putting Smile

For bounce...honestly speaking I know nothing about it...my swing is just too inconsistent to know the different in bounce of each club.. :)But I will learn and find out more from google Smile

Thanks for all the information and advices. Smile

Okie .. try to pay more notice on the turf conditions ..the lies (elevation of the ground / tight lies fluffy lies etc..and calculate backwards what is needed to get the desired chip and reaction the ball has with the greens upon contact.

Impt to flush yr chips ..maintain loft angles to hit firm chips

Only when u got lotsa green to work with then u let it release

Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:24 am

U might wana switch out that ping i20 sand wedge and change to the ping tour wedge that you have currently for the same feel

U are a sweeper or digger? Angle of attack?

Last edited by daztasiumz on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 am

IMO I think the golf lessons shld be structured from putting to chipping pitching then full swing
Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 am

Get a 60 deg low bounce if not enuff bounce then play it backwards to add bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to get the chipping feel right ?    

Back to top Go down

how to get the chipping feel right ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1