HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

3 Keys to Hitting Iron Shots by Anika Sorenstam

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

PostSubject: 3 Keys to Hitting Iron Shots by Anika Sorenstam   Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Something to share with all, in particular golfers like me who have problem hitting irons.

3 keys hitting pure iron shots by Annika Sorenstam

1. Ball position is the first thing to check if you're making poor contact with your irons. Sometimes the ball creeps up or back in your stance, and a simple fix can make all the difference. I play my short irons in the center, my middle irons an inch forward, and my long irons another inch forward. Here I'm hitting a 6-iron.

2. One swing thought I use for all full shots, including my irons, is to keep my right arm fairly straight on the takeaway. This helps me make a shoulder turn and not just lift my arms. From the top, I start down by pushing off my right foot. With my weight left, I turn my hips through, making room for my arms to swing into impact.

3. Good iron contact comes from a descending strike. To hit down, your weight has to be moving toward the target. A lot of amateurs struggle with iron play because they hang back on their right side to try to lift the ball. Hit some irons with your feet together. You won't be able to hit off your right side without losing your balance. You can shift right and left, but not enough to get in trouble.

by Annika Sorenstam Golf Digest Playing Editor

Sorenstam writes instruction articles only for Gold Digest Publications. For more tips, click golfdigest.com/instruction.

COPYRIGHT 2008 Golf Digest Companies
COPYRIGHT 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: 3 Keys to Hitting Iron Shots by Anika Sorenstam   Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for sharing ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

3 Keys to Hitting Iron Shots by Anika Sorenstam
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1